It is the time of year again when we start thinking about writing Extended Essays. The blog post Thinking of Writing an ITGS Extended Essay? explains some of the things to consider when deciding whether or not to write an ITGS extended essay. This post is going to focus on topics that are suitable for an ITGS EE.
Note that the ideas listed below are topic ideas and areas, not Research Questions. They need refining into a specific and sharply focused Research Question before they are suitable for an extended essay. However, you receive marks in Criterion A for doing this, so I am not going to do it for you here!
Business and Employment EE topic ideas:
- The effectiveness of solutions to prevent online fraud
- The use of employee monitoring technology
- Cost savings of FOSS compared to commercial software
- The use of social networks by small businesses
Education EE topic ideas:
- The use of computer models to replace science experiments in schools
- The impacts of 1-1 computer programmes in schools
- The use of student information systems to improve teaching and learning
- The privacy impacts of student tracking systems
- Effective solutions to ensure appropriate technology use in a school
Environment EE topic ideas:
- The use of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) when planning construction projects
- The awareness and impact of electronic waste
- The use of virtualisation as a method of reducing server power consumption
Health EE topic ideas:
- The use of tele-medicine to treat patients in rural areas
- The impacts of implementing electronic health records in a hospital
- The effectiveness of mobile phone technology for distributing health advice and education
- Software and hardware to help disabled users with poor eyesight
Home and Leisure EE topic ideas:
- The impact of software / music / film piracy
Politics & Government EE topic ideas:
- The impacts of open government sites on service provision
- The use of online technology for election campaigning
This is not a definitive list by any means – there are dozens, if not hundreds, of other possible topics. But remember – these are only topic areas. An extended essay (ITGS or otherwise) needs a sharply focused research question that can be addressed within the 4000 word limit.
ITGS Extended Essay help
There are several books available to help you complete the EE process.