It is the time of year again when we start thinking about writing Extended Essays. The blog post Thinking of Writing an ITGS Extended Essay? explains some of the things to consider when deciding whether or not to write an ITGS extended essay. This post is going to focus on topics that are suitable for an ITGS EE.
Note that the ideas listed below are topic ideas and areas, not Research Questions. They need refining into a specific and sharply focused Research Question before they are suitable for an extended essay. However, you receive marks in Criterion A for doing this, so I am not going to do it for you here!
Business related topic ideas:
- The effectiveness of solutions to prevent online fraud
- The use of employee monitoring technology
- Cost savings of FOSS compared to commercial software
- The use of social networks by small businesses
Education related topic ideas:
- The use of computer models to replace science experiments in schools
- The impacts of 1-1 computer programmes in schools
- The use of student information systems to improve teaching and learning
- The privacy impacts of student tracking systems
- Effective solutions to ensure appropriate technology use in a school
Environment related topic ideas:
- The use of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) when planning construction projects
- The awareness and impact of electronic waste
- The use of virtualisation as a method of reducing server power consumption
Health related topic ideas:
- The use of tele-medicine to treat patients in rural areas
- The impacts of implementing electronic health records in a hospital
- The effectiveness of mobile phone technology for distributing health advice and education
- Software and hardware to help disabled users with poor eyesight
Home and Leisure related topic ideas:
- The impact of software / music / film piracy
Politics & Government related topic ideas:
- The impacts of open government sites on service provision
- The use of online technology for election campaigning
This is not a definitive list by any means - there are dozens, if not hundreds, of other possible topics. But remember - these are only topic areas. An extended essay (ITGS or otherwise) needs a sharply focused research question that can be addressed within the 4000 word limit.
|The IB Extended Essay: An "A+" in 6 Easy Steps! by Dr. Juan R. Céspedes Ph.D.
This book breaks down the Extended Essay writing process into 6 steps to help students select the best research question, effectively find appropriate sources, and use the best essay structure to improve their final grade.
|Survive the IB!: 2011 Edition by Nathan Taber
Survive the IB! provides tools for success in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program. Developed by a successful IB graduate, this is a comprehensive manual that guides you step by step through every course, paper, and exam in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program.
|three: The Ultimate Student's Guide to Acing the Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge by Alexander Zouev
This book covers the Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge (TOK) components of the IB Diploma programme, and is written by a former IB student who scored 43 diploma points.